A new health unit to serve our communities better – We are working to update the information on this page to reflect our new organization as Southwestern Public Health. Currently this information reflects Elgin St. Thomas area only. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For information about Oxford County area programs and services, please call 1-800-922-0096 or visit: http://www.oxfordcounty.ca/Sexual-health
Sexual Health Services at Southwestern Public Health
At SWPH, our goal is to provide accurate sexual health information, support and clinical services to all people in a safe and non-judgmental space.
Sexual Health Program – Nurse Drop in clinic
The Sexual Health Nurse Drop-in clinic operates on a drop-in basis. You may experience a wait.
- You do not need an appointment or a health card.
- Testing and treatments are provided at no charge for you and your partner(s).
Services offered at the Nurse Drop in clinic
- Rapid point-of-care HIV testing
- Free testing for sexually transmitted infections
- Free treatment of sexually transmitted infections (some conditions apply)
- New birth control starts and low cost birth control pick ups (some conditions apply)
- Emergency contraception (also known as morning after pill for lower cost)
- Free pregnancy testing (you can talk to a nurse about your pregnancy options here too!)
- Confidential abortion referrals
- Free condoms and dental dams
ESTPH Clinic Hours:
- Monday 9:00 am– 4:00 pm
- Tuesday 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Wednesday 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sexual Health Program - Physician Led Clinic
For some sexual health concerns, you may be required to see our doctor. Some reasons you may need to see our doctor are:
- You need a pap test **(see below)
- You have lumps or bumps that need to be examined (and maybe treated with medication)
- You need to renew your birth control medication
- You have questions that our nurses cannot answer
- You need a medication that our nurses cannot order
Our physician led clinics take place (by appointment only) every Wednesday evening from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Once a month we offer a physician led clinic on a Wednesday from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
A health card may be required depending on what service you need.
** Women over 21 years of age, without a health care provider may speak to a nurse about having her pap test at Elgin St. Thomas Public Health. See our pap test information for more information about why pap tests are an essential part of your routine well woman health screening.
Give Us Your Feedback
If you have visited our clinic recently, we want to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to complete the Client Survey.