Food safety is a mandatory program for Ontario’s health units under the Ontario Public Health Standards. Southwestern Public Health works to prevent and reduce foodborne illness in the community by:
- Inspecting food premises
- Coordinating food handler training
- Educating people about food safety
- Analyzing data about foodborne illness in Elgin and Oxford County
- Investigating and responding to outbreaks of foodborne illness, unsafe food handling practices, food recalls, etc.
- Providing expertise for food-related issues arising from floods, fires, power outages and other situations that may affect food safety