Food safety is a mandatory program for Ontario’s health units under the Ontario Public Health Standards. Southwestern Public Health works to prevent and reduce foodborne illness in the community by:
- Inspecting food premises
- Coordinating food handler training
- Educating people about food safety
- Analyzing data about foodborne illness in Elgin and Oxford County
- Investigating and responding to outbreaks of foodborne illness, unsafe food handling practices, food recalls, etc.
- Providing expertise for food-related issues arising from floods, fires, power outages and other situations that may affect food safety
Food Recall Information
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issues public advisories for all potentially serious hazards related to food, such as undeclared allergens, the food product is recalled from the marketplace and a public warning is issued.
Special events held in Elgin or Oxford County that include the serving of food to the public must be approved by Southwestern Public Health. Please use the information below to see how to submit your forms for your county.