The Smoke-Free Ontario Act
The Smoke-Free Ontario (SFOA), 2017 came into effect on October 17, 2018. The Act is intended to protect Ontarians from the harms of second-hand tobacco and cannabis smoke and vapour. It also keeps tobacco and e-cigarette products out of the hands of youth.
The SFOA prohibits the smoking of tobacco and cannabis, as well as vaping, in the following places:
- Enclosed public places and workplaces, including workplace vehicles
- Child care facilities
- On and within 20 metres of community recreational facility property
- On and within 9 metres of bar/restaurant patios
- On and within 20 metres of school property
- On and within 20 metres of playgrounds and sporting and spectator areas
- All hospital property (indoors and outdoors)
- Long-term care homes (indoors and within 9 metres of exits and entrances)
- Motor vehicles while another person who is less than 16 years of age is present
- Common areas (hallways, stairwells, elevators) of multi-unit residences
The SFOA also regulates the sale, supply, display and promotion of tobacco or electronic cigarette (vapour) products. The sale or supply of tobacco or vapour products to anyone under the age of 19 is prohibited.
“No smoking” and “no vaping” signs are required at all places where smoking tobacco, cannabis and vaping is prohibited under SFOA. Tobacco and e-cigarette retailers are also required to post additional signage.
If you need signage, contact Southwestern Public Health at 1-800-922-0096 or email email@example.com
Tobacco and e-cigarette retailers
Owners, employers and employees of a place that sells tobacco or vapour products in Ontario must follow the rules outlined by the SFOA, 2017. Retailers have a legal responsibility to ensure compliance with these rules.
- Age restrictions, automatic prohibitions, display and promotion, signage
- Guidelines for registration as a tobacconist
- Guidelines for registration as a specialty vape store
Guide for retailers
A Guide for Retailers is available to help owners, employers and employees understand the requirements set out in the SFOA, 2017 regarding the sale, supply, display and promotion of tobacco and vapour products.