What is Medication?
- Medications include prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin and herbal preparations
- Medication is hazardous waste and must not be thrown out in the garbage or flushed down the toilet
- Why is it Important to Regularly Clean out Your Medicine Cabinets?
- Using expired medication can decrease the effectiveness of the medication, cause dangerous side effects, or cause potential negative interactions with other medications you are currently taking
- Prescription drugs can be stolen and sold – the youth population is an especially high-risk group who can obtain medications for recreational use from your medicine cabinet. The 2017 Ontario Student Drug Use and Health Survey reported 10.6% of grade 7-12 students used prescription drugs for non-medical reasons. The #1 place they reported getting these prescription drugs was from the home
A prescription medication is a pharmaceutical drug that legally requires a medical prescription to be dispensed.
The prescription drug medications that are most commonly abused include:
- Pain relievers
- Tranquilizers and sedatives
What can you do to Reduce your Risks?
- Take medications only as prescribed
- Do not share medications with others or use someone else’s medicine
- Keep medication in a safe and secure location
- Keep track of the quantity of medication in your home
- Dispose of expired or unfinished prescriptions at your local pharmacy