How can you keep your independence?
- Be active. It’s never too late. Do things you enjoy. Walk, dance or take an exercise class.Ask your doctor or health care provider about the best type of exercise program for you.
- Regular activity and exercise: Do at least 30 minutes of activity every day. You can break this into three sessions that last 10 minutes if needed.
What are the benefits of Keeping Active?
- Prevents falls
- Improves balance
- Strengthens muscles and bones (motion is the lotion for your joints)
- Decreases chronic diseases: osteoporosis, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, some types of cancer, type 2 diabetes
- Increases quality of life
- Helps you feel more energetic
- Helps you cope with stress
- Improved mood and self-esteem
- Improve your sleep
- Check out this Keep Active Fact Sheet! (Finding Balance Ontario)
- Check out the Free and Low Cost Activities Guide for Seniors
Want to know more?